NUMBERS ARE PEOPLE COCK-UP BEFORE CONSPIRACY • CITE PRIMARY SOURCES OR GO HOME


Saturday 17 July 2010

IMF STAFF REPORT WIN

The IMF is lovin' it.

IMF staff have published today their review of the stand-by arrangement with the IMF which will no doubt make G-PAP and even some of our journos happy. The full report can be read here.

In summary they suggest that reforms are proceeding according to plan and economic growth has only been affected to the extent they had planned for.

I sincerely hope they are right.

However, they also note the following risks to the plan:
  • Out-of-control inflation - only to be expected when one racks up VAT in an economy with a very rigid labour market. 
  • Healthcare and local authority expenditures not entirely under control - primarily because we still don't know what they are
  • Publicly owned enterprises are invoking public sector guarantees on their debt.
  • The pensions reform bill is on track but we don't actually know what savings it will achieve because the actuaries are taking forever to crunch the numbers - not their fault really as the system is too complex in the first place. 
  • Greek banks are still locked out of the interbank lending markets 
  • Too many naysayers are still talking about default - credibility is not yet restored. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please remember that I am not notified of any comments and will not respond via comments.

Try to keep your criticism constructive and if you don't like something, do tell me how to fix it. If I use any of your suggestions, you will be duly credited.

Although I'm happy to entertain criticism of myself in the comments section, I will not tolerate hate speech. You will be given a written warning and after that I will delete further offending comments.

I will also delete any comments that are clearly randomly generated by third parties for their own promotion.

Occasionally, your comments may land in the spam box, which may cause them to appear with a slight delay as I have to approve them myself.

Thanks in advance for your kind words... and your trolling, if you are so inclined.